Welcome to harmonia mundi, United Kingdom store
- Mory Kanté is a legend—a traditional West African musician who rose to regional stardom in the '70s, rocked the world pop charts from his adopted home in Paris in the '80s, rode the wave of globalized African music in the '90s, and returned home to his native Guinea in the 2000s to become a force for economic development and an inspirational voice for a new generation of Africans.
With La Guinéenne, Mory Kanté pays a tribute to Women, a full-throated praise song to the women of the world, whose sacrifice, dedication, and centrality to human progress is too often met with oppression and neglect. La Guinéenne is also a musical tour de force from a pioneer whose work has helped define the musical language of post-independence Africa, and who remains one of the most forceful bandleaders and compelling vocalists in African music today.
La Guinéenne marks Kanté's return to his trademark, big band sound. It also marks his return to Guinea. Kanté recorded the original tracks for La Guinéenne in Conakry, at a moment of reinvention in Guinea following a period of deep political turmoil. Kanté then took the tracks to Paris, where he worked closely with producer Philippe Avril and a 5-piece brass section from the north of Norway to complete the album. The result is a genuinely bi-cultural creation, rooted in authentic West African folklore, and gleaming with the polish and precision of top-flight contemporary production.
- One of the highest profile African music stars in the world
- 1987 hit Yéké Yéké is one of the best-selling African songs ever (over 1 million sales) - it reached the UK Top 30 on three separate releases
- First album for eight years, since 2004's Sabou
- A member of the Rail Band in Mali during the 1970s
- Operates his own 'cultural complex' with recording studios, venue, hotel etc in the Conakry suburb that now bears his name - Morykantea
- MORY KANTE
Mory Kante, Kora, Guitar, Dum Dum, Balafon
Aly Wague, African flute
Moriba Koita, N'gony & Tama
Mohamed Alpha Camara, Congas
Guy Nsangue, Bass
Dominique Fillon, Piano, Organ, Clavier
Adama Conde, Balafon
Pierre-François Dufour, Drums
Youssouf Conde, Balafon
- 1 CD - 0h 46mn 35s
release date. 2013-01-14